When it comes to combating the signs of aging, much attention is paid to facial rejuvenation. But, even if your face looks young, carefree, and refreshed, your hands may still give your true age away. Through one or more procedures specifically tailored to your needs by Dr. Omar Torres, such as laser, fat transfers, temporary, or semi-permanent fillers, your hands can once again feel and look young.
Some of the available options for hand rejuvenation are outlined below. These can be used alone or in combination to enhance the overall results. Your surgeon will recommend an approach based upon your treatment needs and aesthetic goals.
- Autologous fat grafting (also known as fat transfer) re-injects your own natural fatty tissue into your hands to add volume, cover underlying vessels and tendons, and improve the quality of your skin over time. It is important to note that if you have poor circulation from vascular disease, diabetes, chemotherapy, HIV/AIDS and smoking you may not get as much of the graft volume to take as other patients.
- Fillers, such as polyactic acid or hyaluronic acid, can be used to add volume to your hands and fill in around protruding bones and veins.
- Chemical peels, intense pulsed light (IPL), or laser skin resurfacing may be used to treat fine wrinkles, skin discoloration, sun damage or age spots.
- Photodynamic therapy (PDT) uses a solution with IPL for more aggressive treatment of irregular pigmentation or brown spots.
- Sclerotherapy or laser vein treatments can treat noticeable or protruding veins.
- Skin excision to remove loose, excess skin on the hands.
Many of these procedures require multiple treatments to give you the best result. You should allow time between treatments to permit swelling and bruising to dissipate.
During your initial consultation, you will have the opportunity to discuss your cosmetic goals. Dr. Omar Torres will evaluate you as a candidate for hand rejuvenation and clarify what hand rejuvenation can do for you. After we understand your goals and medical condition, both alternative and additional treatments may be considered.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I prepare for the procedure?
Dr. Omar Torres will provide thorough preoperative instructions, answer any questions you may have, take a detailed medical history, and perform a physical exam to determine your fitness for surgery. If you are having laser skin resurfacing or a chemical peel, you may be placed on a pretreatment program during which you will apply special creams, lotions or gels to your skin for a few weeks or longer. You may also be given certain oral medications that you should begin taking prior to your treatment.
What can I expect on the day of surgery?
Your hand rejuvenation surgery may be performed in our office-based surgical suite. Most hand rejuvenation procedures take at least thirty minutes to two hours to complete but may take longer. You will probably be permitted to go home after a short observation period unless you and your plastic surgeon have made other plans for your immediate postoperative recovery.
What will be my aftercare and recovery?
Immediately after surgery your hands will be bruised, swollen, and stiff. If you had fat grafting, the donor site for fat harvesting may be sore and bruised as well. Your surgeon may recommend that you apply ice to your hands, stay out of the sun, and keep your hands clean. Doctor Torres will discuss how long it will be before you can return to your normal level of activity and work. After surgery, you and your caregiver will receive detailed instructions about your post surgical care.
We Can Help You
Call us to schedule your appointment today at (212) 673-5633 or visit us at one of our conveniently located New York offices to learn more about our extensive line of cosmetic dermatology procedures and how they could transform your appearance.